jueves, 15 de marzo de 2012

El Chocolate en Perros y Gatos

Este no es un post de economía.... algo de ciencia sobre un tema interesante e incluso útil para los que tenemos perros y nos preocupamos por ellos...
Esta nota nos informa por qué los perros NO deben comer chocolate.... y les puede incluso causar la muerte...
Why the trouble? Chocolate is toxic to dogs and a number of other animals because it contains alkaloid chemicals called methylxanthinesnamely, theobromine (3,7-dimethylxanthine) and caffeine (1,3,7-trimethylxanthine). Both of these stimulate the nervous and cardiovascular systems. It’s an effect that humans seek out, and we can get away with it because we metabolize the chemicals relatively quickly. Other animals process them more slowly, so the effects are more pronounced.
If a dog eats too much theobromine and caffeine, theyll start to show a number of symptoms, including diarrhea, vomiting, muscle spasms, excessive panting, hyperactive behavior, seizures and dehydration. They may become hyperthermic, go into respiratory failure or experience cardiac arrhythmia, all of which can cause death.
En el caso de los gatos la historia es disntinta.... simplemente no distingues el sabor dulce!!! ¿Por qué?
esta nota explica
In fact, Peihua Jiang from the University of Zurich has found that a wide variety of meat-eating animals can’t taste sugars. The genomes of these carnivores are wastelands of broken taste genes.

No hay comentarios: