domingo, 10 de febrero de 2013

¿Ayuda el Razonamiento Económico en una Relación? (Parece que el Keynesiano sí)

Interesante artículo en The Guardian....


When one economist couldn't get a girlfriend, he had an idea: restrict his supply, find a gap in the market and establish a monopoly. But would it pay off?


"....And so I started to think like a Keynesian. Keynesians don't believe that balancing a budget is the immediate solution to economic malaise. Keynesian governments try to restore the thing that badly performing economies are generally lacking: confidence. They do this by borrowing money and spending it on public projects, which create jobs, which in turn increases consumption, which creates more jobs. This upwards spiral of investment, production and consumption is known as the Keynesian Multiplier. If the multiplier works, the government can actually get back more from the taxpayer than it originally spent, as the rest of the economy increases production and with it the tax it pays. When I met Rosie, I changed my strategy. We reached the familiar third-date impasse, and I could tell Rosie was on the defensive. But instead of playing along, settling into my defensive mode and waiting for her to budge, I decided to be open. I said, in as many words, "I like you. I want to spend more time with you." Over the ensuing weeks I gave, in many ways, more than I could ever, rationally, have expected to get back from her. Getting back as much as I put in wasn't really the point. I just wanted to make her happy. And the more I gave, the more Rosie showed to me the person she really was. We fell for each other. I was no longer happy just because I liked the idea of making her happy, but because I was getting to know the real Rosie. The multiplier effect had kicked in: knowing that I was in some way responsible for the flowering of the person in front of me made me want to give her even more, and she, in turn, gave more back. We became more than the sum of our parts. Keynesian economics and love, it turns out, have rather a lot in common: they both work not by balancing budgets, or reducing supply to increase prices, but by inspiring trust. Economics did, in the end, provide me with an answer – just not the one I expected."
.

1 comentario:

Javier Adrián Guízar Montero dijo...

Éstaa sí es una "real life application", Profesor :-D